Family Law Articles – Kamloops

  • John-Grover

    John Grover

  • Paying too much child support?

    Child Support: money paid by one parent to the other to help defray the expenses with raising children. The amount of child support payable is generally fixed according to the Government’s Child Support Guideline tables which link the number of children to the payer’s income. These tables provide specific support payment calculations for gross annual incomes up to $150,000 and calculate amounts for incomes over $150,000.


    Payors with high incomes may feel that these formulas result in extremely large child support payments which exceed what is reasonably necessary to meet a child’s expenses. Child Support Guidelines allow Courts limited discretion where there is clear and compelling evidence to make a child support award diff erent than that generated by the formulas.

    If you believe your income is resulting in higher than appropriate child support payments, contact John Grover, who can advise you on this matter.

    Adoption in BC

    Adopting a child can be one of the biggest decisions in life.

    The Adoption Act governs how adoptions happen in British Columbia. There are several types of adoption possible in British Columbia, including through the Ministry of Children and Family Development, international (or inter-country adoptions), adoption by relatives or step-parents (including adult adoptions), and direct placement adoption agencies in which parents choose someone they know as the adoptive parents of their child.

    Every type of adoption has its own procedures that must be adhered to and unique challenges. Speaking to a lawyer can guide you through the process, as well as explain to you how this will effect support obligations, visitation, naming and estate planning.

    Contact John Grover at Fulton & Company to see if adoption is the right option for you.

    Moving with children

    Following separation, parents frequently want to move or relocate to a new community with a child or children in their care. Proposed relocation or mobility issues can be among the most emotional issues for families to deal with.

    Under BC’s Family Law Act, where a parent wants to relocate with a child or children, and the move would affect the current child custody and access arrangement, written notice must be given to the other parent. The other parent then has a period of time to oppose the relocation by filing an application.

    The court may make an order either permitting or prohibiting the move. For the Court to approve of such a move, the parent desiring to relocate with the children must show that the move is in good faith, that it serves the best interests of the children, and that all options for keeping the existing custody and access arrangement have been explored.

    Contact John Grover to discuss any possible relocation.

    The Family Law Act: How it could affect you

    The Family Law Act sets out requirements pertaining to a parent who wants to relocate with a child, or children, from a former relationship.


    Under the Act, where both parents are having “contact” with the children and one parent wants to relocate with them, that parent must give the other parent at least 60 days written notice of the proposed relocation. The relocation can then occur unless the other parent, within 30 days of receiving the notice, files a court application which opposes the relocation.

    Let us help you through the legal process, which at times can become complicated and emotional. John Grover has the knowledge and experience to help you maneuver through this delicate situation.