Associate / Kamloops
Jessica is more than a lawyer.
After surviving a catastrophic injury in her twenties, Jessica re-built her life to maximize the awesome. She became a national team athlete. She became a lawyer. She became a mother. When it seems like it can’t be done, Jessica finds a way. She has been through it all, and she draws on her personal experience as both a lawyer and a human, to help her clients move forward.
Jessica practices exclusively in personal injury law. Jessica and her team handle the complexities of an injury claim so her clients can focus on their recovery. Jessica empowers her clients to feel in control of their recovery, their claim, and their future.
Born and raised in Kamloops, Jessica has deep roots in the community. After her spinal cord injury, Jessica represented Canada in wheelchair basketball, winning bronze at the 2010 World Championships and capping off her career playing in the London 2012 Paralympics. Now retired from international sport, Jessica spends her free time outside with her young son and daughter, husband and small flock of chickens.
What Jessica’s clients are saying
“The day of the accident was terrible. The day of the settlement was wonderful. Getting from the day of the accident to the day of the settlement was accomplished very competently and professionally with Jessica Vliegenthart as my lawyer. Much thanks to you, to Jill and to the rest of the staff at Fulton who worked on my file.” – J.F.
“Thank you for persevering with me. You are a light in that place. You were for me. It was wonderful to be able to put my trust in you.” – P.D.
“I couldn’t be happier having worked with Jessica for my ICBC claim. She genuinely cared about my well-being and made sure I got what was required during my recovery throughout the aftermath of my accidents. Jessica was patient with me and she covered every aspect of my life to help me realize what I truly lost and how my life had changed beyond my perception. I would urge anyone seeking assistance to talk with her.” – C.G.
- Practice Areas
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (2013)
- Juris Doctor, University of Victoria (2011)
- Bachelor of Arts (Communication), University of Simon Fraser (2008)
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for Service to Canada (2012)
- Ann Roberts Humanitarian Award, UVic Faculty of Law (2011)
- Terry Fox Gold Medal, Simon Fraser University (2008)
- B.C. Interior Doctor Shortage Affecting ICBC Claims
- Rio Paralympic Games
- Pros & Cons of Doctor-assisted Dying
- Jessica Vliegenthart’s Latest Challenge – Having a Baby
- WorkSafeBC National Day of Mourning
- Wheelchair Curling & Yoga
- President & Founder of Kamloops Adapted Sports Association
- Paralympic Games