As a partner with the firm, and the chair of the firm’s Wills & Estates practice group, Leah focuses her practice on estate & succession planning and estate administration.
Leah provides comprehensive planning advice and implements effective estate plans for her clients. This involves the preparation of Wills, Powers of Attorney, Representation Agreements, Advance Directive, Trusts that can range from simple to complex, as well as property transfers, and corporate reorganizations with tax-driven, planning purposes. Leah applies her years of corporate law experience to business succession planning.
Leah also advises and assists clients with all aspects of administering the estates of deceased persons. Leah regularly handles applications for probate and letters of administration, as well as the administration and winding-up of estates. Leah provides advice to executors, trustees and beneficiaries in the context of estates and trusts.
Leah’s broad solicitor background includes experience in corporate matters such as advising business clients and effecting incorporations, reorganizations, dissolutions, business purchases and sales, as well as residential and commercial property transactions. She applies this experience when advising her planning and probate clients about the wide range of matters that can arise in the course of estate planning and probating estates.
Leah attended law school at UBC prior to returning to her roots in the Interior of B.C. Leah and her husband have two young children and in their spare time they partake in all the “child friendly” activities that Kamloops has to offer.
300-350 Lansdowne St.
Kamloops, BC V2C 1Y1
960-1055 W. Georgia Street,
Vancouver, BC V6E 0B6
PO Box 11116 STN Royal Centre,
Vancouver, BC V6E 3P3
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (2007)
- Bachelor of Laws (2006), University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Arts Program (2002), Simon Fraser University
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Author of Do I Need a Will?
- Author of Planning for Incapacity
- Author of Where There’s a Will, What is Probate?
- Presenter of Wills & Estates Seminars for local community groups including various unions, retirement centers, financial institutions, local government employees, Certified Management Accountants, School District 73, and the City of Kamloops Parks & Recreation
- Speaker at Local government conferences, including topics such as “”Bylaw Drafting” and “Liability Pitfalls”
- Author of numerous Wills & Estates newspaper articles
- Author of estate planning articles for various publications
- Presenter of Business Documentation courses for local financial institutions
Leah has been involved with the following types of client matters:
Estate Planning & Administration
Comprehensive estate planning, involving:
- preparation of Wills, Powers of Attorney, Representation Agreements establishing trusts (during lifetime or in Wills)
- property transfers and other collateral estate planning documentation advising regarding charitable donations and gifting through estate plan
Administration of estates, including:
- assisting executors with obtaining probate and letters of administration assisting executors with the administration of estates
- advising beneficiaries of estates
- passing of executor accounts
- Committeeship (adult guardian) court applications
- Establishing “disability” trusts for clients receiving disability assistance benefits
- Capacity assessments for clients with diminished mental capacity
- Corporate re-organizations to achieve estate planning and tax planning objectives
- Business sales and acquisitions
- Shareholders’ Agreements and Partnership Agreements
Real estate/property matters including:
- commercial and residential real estate transactions preparing various property-use contracts
- Dispositions of various types of forest tenures
- Debt recovery through the Builders Lien Act and Strata Property Act lien process
- Incorporation of societies and drafting of bylaws and constitutions
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Member, Thompson Rivers University (TRU) Planned Giving Committee
- Mentor, Thompson Rivers University, Faculty of Law
- Member, Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP)
- Member, Kamloops Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Former Director & Secretary, Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada—Kamloops and Area Chapter