Partner / Kamloops
Rick gets people.
It is no wonder many of Rick’s clients feel more like family than clients. More than a few of his clients have been with him for well over 25 years. Whether it is through work or play, Rick’s easy going style wins over most people before they even know they wanted to be won over. We asked his secret and he says he doesn’t know how to be any different.
On his way to becoming a lawyer, Rick applied his “trade” as a journeyman electrician (yes his puns are that bad in real life too). Drawing from his experience in the construction industry, Rick feels better “tooled” (there he goes again) to help his clients with business needs as diverse as Air Space Parcel real estate developments and Search and Rescue leasing requirements. As our senior solicitor he has not yet accepted the fact that he is the “senior” solicitor – he says he still feels like he is 30 and continues to play like he is in order to prove it (luckily for him we have a good health care plan).
For those of you who have never thought of volunteering for charitable organizations, just rethink, because Rick’s volunteering has taken him to Africa – four times.
In his free time, you will probably find Rick on or near a golf course (he lives at one), chasing the ever elusive goal of improving his golf game.
- Practice Areas
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (1992)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Victoria (1991)
- Interprovincial Tradesman Qualification – Electrician (1986)
- Bachelor of Physical Education, University of British Columbia (1983)
Publications & Presentations
- Education Seminars (various construction events) – Canadian Homebuilders Association and Southern Interior Construction Association
- Tendering Case Update – Local Government Law Conference 2005
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Kamloops Bar Association
- Member, British Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Homebuilders Association (former Director and Vice-President)
- Member, Southern Interior Construction Association
- Member, Kamloops Chamber of Commerce (former Director, President and Policy Chair)
- Volunteer, Developing World Connections
- Council Member, Audit Council to the Auditor General for Local Government
- Governor, Thompson Rivers University Board of Governors (Former Chair of Finance Committee)
- Director, Thompson Rivers University Foundation